Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oral Cancer Revisited

You know, when we have our children, we as parents always have dreams for them, that they would accomplish great things, that they would be successful, and that they would follow in our footsteps.  Today, I would give anything if my youngest daughter, Emily, was not following in mine.  You see, her husband, my Fab Son-in-law, was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx last week. 

Right now, they are trying to be very optimistic, hoping for the best, while preparing for the worst. The only thing is, we don't know exactly what the worst can be. I do know that FabGrandpa and I will be able to guide them to some extent, to show them the road, to help them along the way. As I told her, "unfortunately" they have someone who has gone before them, to give them advice and to listen to their fears. While FabGrandpa and I had each other, and an online support group, Emily and her husband will have us, and I hope we will be able to help them in whatever way we can.  

Fab S-I-L is a surgery scheduler at a hospital in Atlanta. Right before Christmas, he lost his voice, so he went to the doctor to have it checked out. That doctor said he had a polyp in his throat, and scheduled surgery to remove it. When he got in there, he discovered that the mass was not what he thought it was, and just did a biopsy instead.  He was referred to a specialist at Emory University Hospital, who did a thorough exam, including a CAT scan. He is going to do another biopsy next week. We are hoping for good news. 

So, I am here to nudge you all, again, to get an exam for oral cancer at the very next opportunity--it is painless, doesn't take much time, and can save your life. Please, just do it!

9 comments:

Susan Adcox said...

Thanks for this reminder! Oral cancer is indeed one of the easier cancers to screen for, but the payoff for early detection is enormous. I hope your son-in-law gets good news.

Oral cancer symptoms said...

Oral cancer affects lips, tongue, cheek, palate, base of the mouth, sinuses and pharynx. And if it is not detected and treated on time, it could lead to life-menacing situation. Men are more prone to affect than women. Those who smoke, eat tobacco, drinkers, more expose to sun are more at risk to get this cancer. One should quit smoking, eat balanced diet to prevent it.

diane b said...

What an awful coincidence, both SIL and hubby get oral cancer. Thanks for the info.Hope SIL can be healed.

Yarntangler said...

Saying a prayer for your SIL that all goes well.

Sweetpea said...

Thanks Mom. Just so you know, the doctor is at St. Joseph's not Emory. He is going to get a deep tissue biopsy hopefully from inside the false vocal cord and from the pyriform sinus.

I appreciate all the prayers.

Emily

Ali Workentin said...

Our thoughts go with you as you walk this journey.

wishful nals said...

oh no. wishes + blessings for your son-in-law. xo

Jody said...

Karen, so sorry to hear. My best to Emily I know her plate is full right now. I will keep them all in my thoughts and prayers. Love to all!

Barb said...

I will truly pray for your family...